GRAVE MARKER / HEADSTONE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
The following applies to the Ararat and Masis Ararat Armenian Cemeteries
(Replaces and supercedes previous Grave Marker/Headstone Policies and Procedures from April 1, 2013.)
- Permanent grave markers are not required by the cemetery. Personal, temporary markers will be allowed only with the approval of the Ararat and Masis Ararat Armenian Cemeteries and for a period not to exceed six  months following interment.
- Markers are the property of the purchaser. The Cemetery in no way is responsible for any damage prior to or after installation by Cemetery personnel. Repairs shall be done at owner’s expense.
- All markers [headstones] shall be approved by the Ararat and Masis Ararat Armenian Cemetery Administrative Office prior to being ordered and purchased. Approval shall be stamped, signed and dated on the monument vendor’s contract or sales order form, or the facsimile thereof, providing a sketch of the design, with complete specifications and measurements.
- All markers in Masis Ararat Armenian Cemetery and in Plots 4 through 12 of Ararat Armenian Cemetery shall be level and flush with the lawn. Upright monuments, additional tablets, and raised or beveled markers are not allowed.
- The maximum marker dimensions allowed in Masis Ararat Armenian Cemetery and in Plots 4 through 12 of Ararat Armenian Cemetery are 24” Wide x 18” High (for a Single marker) or 60” Wide x 18” High (for a Double marker). Markers will be encased in cement, providing 4” borders on each side and the bottom. The top will have an 8” border to allow for a vase[s]. The overall maximum dimensions, to include the borders, for a Single marker is 32” Wide x 30” High, and 68” Wide x 30” High for a Double marker. For Double markers, borders on the bottom, or the sides, can measure wider to accommodate vases, but the overall maximum dimensions cannot exceed the measurements cited. All markers shall be 3” thick.
- Upright markers are allowed only in Plots 1, 2, & 3 of Ararat Armenian Cemetery. They are not allowed at all in Masis Ararat Armenian Cemetery.
- The cement base for any upright marker in Plots 1, 2, & 3 of Ararat Armenian Cemetery cannot be any larger than 30” x 12” x 5” for a Single upright marker and 60” x 12” x 5” for a Double upright marker.
- The maximum height of upright markers will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Where there is an existing, non-conforming marker [headstone] on the grave of a spouse, the Cemetery Administrative Office will approve a matching marker.
- All flat markers and bases of upright markers shall be installed only by Ararat and Masis Ararat Armenian Cemetery personnel, and, only after the payment of the appropriate setting fees. Setting fees include a flower vase[s]. Options are available as to the type of vase and vary in price.
- Any marker or base which is not installed by Ararat and Masis Ararat Armenian Cemetery personnel, or which is installed without payment of the appropriate fees, will be removed from the gravesite until arrangements are made with the Administrative Office.
- Markers should be made of either granite, marble, or bronze. Nothing else will be allowed.
- Markers made of either granite or marble may be set without borders, but will require the appropriate accommodation for vases. Such markers shall be at least 3” thick to avoid damage.
- The Board of Directors of Ararat Armenian Cemetery Association may deny approval of any headstone, monument, or other structure or objects which may conflict with the regulations or which may be considered injurious to the general appearance of the Cemetery.
Adopted April 9, 2015